Guide: Glasses for Asians aka the woes of not having a defined nose bridge

I'm not much of a glasses person. I think it stems from the fact that I live a somewhat active life - what with all my running and whatnot - but also the fact I disliked how glasses looked on me overall.

However, armed with a new prescription, and a new fascination for the hipster-looking frames that are all the rage, I figured I'd invest in getting a pair of glasses I really liked. One that was somewhat fashionable and would fit my face better than the previous ones I bought back in Thailand.

And that was when I encountered an interesting problem: the nose bridge dilemma.

Glasses in the US and most other Western countries do not tend to account for the fact that there are people with non-existent nose bridges.  It's not entirely their fault: most Western features have a more defined nose bridge, so it makes sense that most of the glasses they make would cater more towards that population.

I never realized it was an issue because I always bought my glasses in Asia, where the glasses were obviously catered towards Asian features. I just took it for granted... until I tried to find a pair in the US that would fit my face.


My naivety and desire to find a "trendy" pair of glasses made me a bit blind (hehe appropriate wordplay) to the realities of the pair of glasses I ultimately chose. I spent several hundred dollars and a ton of time for a pair of glasses I'm only meh about. This is not to mention the additional time spent afterwards going to get them adjusted to get to fit me just a little bit better.

It wasn't until after my purchase that I dug a little deeper as to why my frames didn't seem to fit me like I thought it would.

Looking for new frames? Things to keep in mind

So to help you avoid the same silly mistakes I made (and save some cash), here are some key points to consider when choosing glasses without having a defined nose bridge.

  • Look for glasses that have "low nose bridges" or "Asian fit": Some frames now advertise this feature, which really helps filter out what will best fit your face. When looking online or at an optician, ask for glasses with low nose bridges for a better fit.
  • Make sure your glasses don't touch your cheeks when you smile: This goes hand-in-hand with finding glasses that have low/Asian nose bridges, since it's the nose bridge that helps your glasses stick out enough from your face to be secure and not touch your cheeks. You don't want your glasses to move because you're smiling!
  • Make sure the tops of your glasses do not cover your eyebrows: I know we want to be on trend, but this is generally unflattering. However, this is a looser rule, so feel free to break it, you wild, confident rebel, you!
  • Don't buy the frame unless you truly love it: One of the opticians I visited called finding the perfect frame like finding a unicorn, and she's right. You never seem to find the frame you want when you really need to. However, just treat it like the investment that it is. You don't want to spend all this money customizing a frame (as in, getting it fit to your prescription, etc.) only to discover that it doesn't fit quite right. So take your time, if you have that luxury!
  • Designers release new frames in the fall: Again, learned this from an optician. Apparently, like the rest of the fashion world, designers release new frame designs at this annual eyewear trade show. So if you can't find the frame you want, do not fret! There will be new designs!
  • Nose pads are great, but try not to add them on if you can: I got nose pads added onto my frames in an attempt to make a trendy frame fit a bit better. It does fit a lot better than before, but it's one of the reasons that the look of the glasses is all off from when I tried it in store. The best thing is to find a pair of glasses that fits you as is without nose pad alterations because once the nose pads are drilled on, you can't take them back off.

Frames & brands to consider

Armed with all this exceptionally deep know-how, you're probably thinking, "Okay, great Pat, so where should I start looking for frames?" I've got you, young near-sighted grasshopper.

Here are some frames and brands I would personally consider choosing from.

TC Charton

One of the few US-based brands that makes Asian fit glasses, TC Charton offers a lot of wonderful trendy, well-fitting pieces. The prices might cause you to clutch your pearls if you're a young, cash-strapped student like me, but if you consider it an investment, the prices are on par with what you would normally spend for a nice pair of boots.

I reeeeeally love these Elaine frames - tried them on, loved the fit, everything - but not any of the colors. I'm hoping she'll come out with some new colors in the fall!
Source

TOMS

Most people know TOMS as the one-for-one shoe, but they also make really nice frames as well. Their "one-for-one" philosophy also applies for frames: For every frame you purchase, a child in need gets one.

I didn't realize they had an optical line until I found their frames in store and tried them on. Apparently, quite a few frames in their optical line feature low nose bridge fits, which was really exciting to learn. I remember trying Toby on and really liking it. It just didn't fit quite right.

Source

TOMS doesn't sell their optical line online, so you'll have to find a retailer that carries it to buy and try in store.

Warby Parker

I feel like Warby Parker is pretty ubiquitously known. However, if you haven't heard of them, they're an affordable, primarily online-based eyewear brand. They have a great selection of trendy frames, though their selection of trendy, low nose bridge frames are much more limited. When I searched their website, I didn't find anything I quite liked, but it's worth taking a look! I would say of the three brands, Warby Parker offers the most affordable frames.

-----------------

Were you aware of these "Asian fit" frames before? Did you see any you like? Regardless, I hope you found this helpful! If you're in the market for some frames, may the odds be ever in your favor while searching for that unicorn pair of frames!

4 comments

  1. Impressive and powerful suggestion by the author of this blog are really helpful to reduce our hack-tic life. My own views are matching with author and I have experienced such.
    rodenstock เลนส์

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good post. This post gives truly quality information. I’m definitely going to look into it. Really very useful tips are provided here. Thank you so much. Keep up the good works. Laser Eye Surgery Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  3. During this website, you will see this shape, i highly recommend you learn this review. gafas de sol de madera de bambu

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww that's glasses are belssing for asians with no node bone you doing a great job i love to read more and more from your content organic rosehip oil online in pakistan
    Pure organic coconut oil online in pakistan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate any and all comments, and take the time in reading and replying to them. However, if I find that your comments are spam and/or not respectful, I reserve the right to remove them as I see fit.