Review: CLIO Waterproof Brush Liner vs. KATE Super Sharp Liner

You know, sometimes I think life would be infinitely better if I just stayed optimistically disappointed about everything. That way, things would only be able to look up from there, you know?

And on that optimistic note, here I go on my review comparing two liquid eyeliners: CLIO Waterproof Brush Liner and KATE Super Sharp Liner.



There has been a lot of love and buzz on these two liners - particularly CLIO - but do they live up to the hype? The surprising, and mildly disappointing results, after the break!

I want to preface this that I am not about the thick, dramatic eyeliner. That is not my look. It just looks too unnatural on my face. Plus, it makes my size-challenged Asian eyes look even smaller. So when I buy liquid eyeliners, I'm looking for something that (1) can create very precise lines so I can draw the thinnest of flicks to add that bit of oomph to my overall make up look that day, (2) is long-lasting in this heat and humidity and (3) is pigmented. Flake-freewaterproof, and smudge-proof, please and thank you!

I also prefer something that's easy to wield because I am a perpetual noob with eyeliner (I can never get that flick right), so liners in pen form are preferred.

Left: KATE | Right: CLIO
Sorry for the slight blurriness, my camera can only focus so much!

DESCRIPTION

Taken from Club Clio's English website (source)

The CLIO Waterproof Brush Liner comes in two colors: Kill Brown and Kill Black. The one I have is in the latter. Also, according to the Club Clio website, the Brush liner I have seems to be the old one, not the new, repackaged one which looks a bit sleeker.

Taken from Club Clio's English website (source)

The packaging of this eyeliner is sleek. The top requires you push down on a spring, and it snaps on with a satisfying click. I'm assuming this is to keep the product from drying out?

Take from the KATE global website (source)
Taken from the KATE global website (source)

The KATE Super Sharp Liner comes in three colors: BK-1, BK, and BR-1. BK-1 is a jet black (which is the one I have). BK is described to be a more "natural black", as the sale associate told me. It comes out more grey when I swatched it. BR-1 is a brown.

Like CLIOKATE also comes in a sleek black pen with a satisfyingly click-y top.

PERFORMANCE

Left: KATE | Right: CLIO
Per its name, I find the KATE Super Sharp Liner to be sharper and finer than that of CLIO Waterproof Brush Liner.

As you can see in the above picture, KATE is also more pigmented than CLIO. The line created with KATE from a single swipe is much darker/blacker/more pigmented.

Test 1: On the hands

For the first test, I sought to determine how it fared in the waterproof and smudge proof department.

First, I ran my hand underwater. As you can see...

Top to bottom: CLIO, KATE, K-Palette

Both held up pretty well (as did the K-Palette 1 Day Tattoo Pencil Eyeliner, which I threw on there for kicks).

Next, while my hand was still mildly damp, I ran one finger down along the lines to smudge it.

Top to bottom: CLIO, KATE, K-Palette 

CLIO did not fare well, compared to KATE.

Test 2: On the eyes

Before: CLIO on the left (of the screen), KATE on the right
BEFORE
Left of the screen: CLIO | Right of the screen: KATE

Additionally, to compare the two, I did the super scientific method of wearing one eyeliner on one eye, and another eyeliner on the other. I wore this at the beginning of a normal work day - so around 7.30/8am. I did not prime my eyes in anyway, since I wanted to see how they would hold up without primer. Usually I wear make up until 18/19.00 (or 6/7pm for those not used to military hours).

Before (left) and after (right) with CLIO Waterproof Brush Liner in Kill Black
Before (left) and after (right) with CLIO Waterproof Brush Liner in Kill Black
(I accidentally smudged the liner a bit on the Before shot *typical*, but I assure you it's not as faint in person! It is one, continuous, smooth line when drawn on
Before (left) and after (right) with KATE Super Sharp Liner in black
Before (left) and after (right) with KATE Super Sharp Liner in Black

Both CLIO and KATE could not withstand approx. 12 hours of wear, the humidity that is Thailand, and the oil well that is my eyelids. That's okay, it's a lot to ask for. Even so, the picture shows that KATE held up a lot better on my eyes compared to CLIO. The latter has almost completely flaked off, while the former is holding on for dear life.

I tried this extremely scientific testing again the next day, this time switching which side the eyeliner was one just in case that made a difference (gotta try to reduce as many confounding variable as possible!). While it seems that it might have made a difference, KATE still held on better than CLIO.

Though both didn't hold up so well, I will say they both did a good job of not giving me panda eyes, so yay for that!

VALUE

I bought both of these on a chance sale, so I definitely lucked out (probably the only reason I bought them to be honest). Even on sale, KATE was cheaper than CLIO. At full price (in Thailand), KATE normally retails for 295 THB/approx. $9 USD, while CLIO retails for a whopping 550 THB/approx $17 USD.

Since I just purchased these, I cannot say how long it'll take for me to use them until they're both empty. However, from the performance test, it already seems that KATE is the more cost-effective value, being both cheaper and better performing.

SUMMARY/TL;DR

These eyeliners are not perfect. I suppose my hope for an eyeliner that can last on my oily eyelids for hours without budging sans primer is a bit much. I was rather disappointed by CLIO, since it was raved so widely. I am pleasantly surprised by KATE, though, as it is at a lower price point, more pigmented, and lasts a lot longer than CLIO!

SCORE


CLIO WATERPROOF BRUSH LINER

Application: 10/10
Applies easily and fluidly without dragging; intensity can be built up

Performance: 2/10
It's relatively waterproof, yes, but hardly smudgeproof nor long-lasting.

Value: 1/10
Given its performance and the fact that this is comparable to the price of the Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner and the Kat Von D Tattoo Linerthis is a pretty poor value product.

TOTAL: 4.33/10

I would recommend CLIO for those who 1) don't have oily eyelids, 2) will not be out all day with it on, 3) are dedicated to using a primer. It's pretty meh - and disappointing - overall for me.


KATE SUPER SHARP LINER

Application: 10/10
Like CLIO, this comes out smoothly, finely, and without drag; intensity can be built up

Performance: 5/10
It fared alright, given the harsh elements it was against! It flaked throughout the 12 hours it was on my eyelids, but it didn't smudge. Plus it holds up better against water than CLIO.

Value: 4/10
Given its performance and price point, this is an okay eyeliner offering.

TOTAL: 6.3/10

I would recommend this for those who want something with a bit more staying power, and want super thin lines for drugstore prices.



Alas, my quest for a long-lasting eyeliner continues! My CLIO eyeliner will be relegated to my purse, so I can use it for touch ups throughout the day, while my KATE one will be my daily one until I get my hands on some other eyeliners to try.

What are your favorite liquid liners? I'm hoping to try the infamous Stila liner and the Kat Von D liner once I am back in the US, but until then, I'll keep hunting about for Asian options!

8 comments

  1. Oh wow, the pigmentation of Kate's totally overshadows Clio's! Right now, for liquid liner I'm digging Holika Holika's Wonder Drawing (not the pencil!). Liquid liner never seems to stay put at the corner of my eyes (the oiliest part for me) but this one does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I've never heard of that liner from Holika Holika! I will have to see if I can find it and swatch it in store. Thanks for the suggestion :D

      Delete
  2. Great comparison. I've tried the Stila Stay All Day and the Kat Von D btw and both smudged on me. I like the CLIO brush liner more (doesn't smudge on me and I have hooded eyes) and I find Chacott Quick Eyeliner (Japanese brand) to be similar, maybe a little bit better. I haven't tried KATE though, which sounds terrific. --Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of Chacott! Hmmm, time to look into that! Thanks for the suggestion :)

      Ugh, who knew eyeliner, like skincare, would also be YMMV? Sighhhh, the hunt continues!

      Delete
  3. I heard the hype about clio and I got it in Kill Brown. It worked well the first time I swiped it on my hand it was okay...but when I got to the actual eyelid, I was greatly disappointed. I think I have oily eyelids but I managed to get it on the first few tries. After a while, it dried up a lot. I should have read this review before I bought it. It really wasn't worth the hype or the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon! I know, I was sorely disappointed by this eyeliner too. It didn't even work well for me when I swatched it on my hand >_> It just goes to show we should always take hype items with a grain of salt, eh? If you still want to use up your CLIO liner, everyone suggests priming your eyes to make sure it firmly stays on. It's definitely the more sensible option compared to my method, which is simply to buy more eyeliner :P

      Thanks for commenting again! :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Box for Packaging Eyeliner That Is Easy to Label:

    Before making a new purchase, people carefully examine the contents since they are concerned about their skin and appearance. You must include all necessary information in your eyeliner boxes.
    Additionally, you must adhere to FDA regulations, thus a tag might be a useful tool for your company.
    If you use a tag, your product's details will always be accessible. By purchasing your eyeliner packaging and tags from us, you may save money and energy. We offer a rapid response time, making the process straightforward and simple.
    Packaging Mania:
    Packaging for Eyeliner Simply Click Here: custom printed eyeliner boxes
    For the best deal on custom eyeliner packing boxes, place your order right away. Numerous organisations throughout the world may take use of our full-service printing solutions.
    Your boxes from Packaging Mania will be produced to the highest quality standards and delivered as soon as feasible. Since we make every one of our packagings from scratch, we can offer reduced prices.
    • We will give you access to an admin panel so you can monitor the progress.
    • We can guide and support you in every step of the procedure.
    • We also offer free proofreading before printing and can give you free samples for your designers.
    • We have complete control over the process and can customise the packages according to your specifications.
    Get a price and begin developing and constructing the perfect eyeliner.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate any and all comments, and take the time in reading and replying to them. However, if I find that your comments are spam and/or not respectful, I reserve the right to remove them as I see fit.