Review: Fairydrops Volume Burst Waterproof Mascara

Friends, I may have discovered my holy grail mascara. This may just knock off the oft-raved about, very well-loved Kiss Me Heroine Long & Curl Mascara from its #1 status on my lashes.

Fairydrops Volume Burst Waterproof Mascara | Source: http://www.fairydrops.com/modules/products/003.html
Fairydrops Volume Burst Waterproof Mascara | Source

I am truly in love with the Fairydrops Volume Burst Waterproof Mascara. It ticks off everything I want in a mascara, and then some. Before, I never asked for too much out of my mascaras. I just wanted something that 1) held a curl, and 2) really lengthened my short Asian lashes. It wasn't until I used this Fairydrops mascara that my eyes were opened (pun completely intended) to the wonder of having a curl-holding, lengthening, and volumizing mascara on these unimpressive lashes.



After reading rave reviews from ViviannaDoesMakeup (one of my favorite beauty blogs!) about the Fairydrops ScandalQueen Mascara, I decided to deviate from my religious use of Kiss Me Heroine Long & Curl Mascara to see what with this fuss about Fairydrops was about. I went to in search of this mascara at my usual haunt for Japanese and Korean makeup: Beautrium at Digital Gateway (connected with the BTS Siam station). This is where I normally purchase my Kiss Me Heroine mascara from, and I remembered seeing a small Fairydrops display here. I managed to locate the selection of Fairydrops products, but alas! No ScandalQueen Mascara! Despite this upset, I figured I might as well try a Fairydrops product since I had my heart set on it. After hovering around reading the descriptions for all the mascaras there - and politely letting two sales associates know that, No, I don't any need help, thanks! - I decided to pick up the Fairydrops Volume Burst Waterproof Mascara. Even though it emphasized volume, it also claimed to lengthen and hold a curl (either way, I bought a back up of Kiss Me Heroine just in case).

It's a rather large, unwieldy wand, but it does the job so well! | Source

The wand is pretty unique. It's quite large compared to other mascara wands I've used. As a result, I do tend to get it on my eyelids. However, as I have discovered the wonder and beauty of cotton buds to clean up makeup (has it really taken me 2 years to learn this trick?), this is not as big of an issue for me anymore.

I will say that when you first use this mascara, it is pretty wet and runny. Apparently I am not the only one who finds this to be the case. It took a little bit of getting used to, but once the formula dried up a bit and I got used to the wand, man oh man are the results great.

Left: Equilibrium (ie. nothing done to my lashes) | Right: Curled

Now, I also will stipulate that my lashes are not the typically stick-straight, short and stubborn Asian lashes. I have short lashes, but they are fortunately rather pliant and cooperatively curl when using my trusty Shiseido Eyelash Curler.

One coat of each
Right eye/left of picture: Fairydrops | Left eye/right of picture: Kiss Me Heroine

I decided to do a little comparison between my previous HG and my current HG.

You can see that they're quite similar, though of course Kiss Me Heroine emphasizes length, while Fairydrops emphasizes volume. However, what makes me truly love Fairydrops is that this mascara lengthens nearly as much as Kiss Me Heroine plus gives me lots of volume.

Two coats of each
Right eye/left of picture: Fairydrops | Left eye/right of picture: Kiss Me Heroine

The Fairydrops mascara really helps 1) fan out my lashes, 2) make my lashes look thicker, and 3) makes my lashes look longer. It is also very easy to layer: I typically apply two coats for a very my lashes but better sort of look. If I want some extra oomph to my lashes, I apply a layer of Kiss Me Heroine on top of the two layers of Fairydrops for an almost false lash look (not pictured).

This was after a 4 mile run in 27C weather with 70+% humidity

This mascara is not kidding when it says it's waterproof. I have had 16 hour days, days where right after work I go on an hour long run in 27C temperature at 80% humidity, and you know what? This did not drop a curl. Eyeliner may be fading, eyeshadow creasing, but any dropping of curls? No sir. However, the same can be said for the Kiss Me Heroine mascara as well!

Despite all my praises, the one con is that this is a pricier mascara compared to other drugstore options. I typically buy Kiss Me Heroine for approx. 480 THB (~14 USD). Fairydrops is generally around 790 THB (~20 USD). However, I find it to be absolutely worth it, as I have never found a mascara that equally lengthens and volumizes my lashes so wonderfully as this one.

SUMMARY/TL;DR

This mascara is the bee's knees, friends. It works wonderfully for my short, but not stubborn, Asian lashes. I would recommend this to everyone who is looking for a mascara that delivers a natural, fluttering look. I don't know how this would fare on shorter, more stubborn lashes, though.

SCORE

Application: 9/10
It comes out pretty wet and runny at the first few uses, which makes for less than stellar application. Also, it's probably not really the wand's fault that I am super bumbling, and get it all over my lids, but eh.

Performance: 10/10
What is love? This mascara and the way it makes my lashes look freshly applied and 16 hours later, that's what.

Value: 10/10
This is not the cheapest drugstore mascara, but I think it's worth every penny/baht given its performance. I've been using this mascara on the daily for over 3 months and I think I can still eke out another month's use, so it's going strongI'll give an update on this when I finish the tube!

TOTAL: 9.67/10



What's your holy grail mascara? Do you think you'll give this one a shot? If so, please let me know what you think of it! :)

1 comment

  1. This is the first time I came to this blog and I found some relevant stuff here. Basically I keen to know new parameters of writing every-time and sometime it become really very hard to find such kind of platform.
    ศัลยกรรม

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate any and all comments, and take the time in reading and replying to them. However, if I find that your comments are spam and/or not respectful, I reserve the right to remove them as I see fit.